The student news site of Park Vista Community High School

The Cobra Chronicle

Truth about lying

Sara Carr, Staff Writer

From the time children learn to talk, they are constantly reminded not to lie. The irony is that many parents are lying to them about Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. As children grow older, they notice friends may lie and tell each other they “look great in that outfit” or “those jeans are very flattering” When is it acceptable to lie? And why do people continue to do it?

Appearance

The competition between men makes some feel they need to be the best (or at least better than their friends and acquaintances), which can lead to lying. For instance, some men may lie about the weight they lift to impress a girl or get their attention.

“One time my boy at University of Central Florida (UCF) told all his friends he could lift 300 lbs. but when we went to the gym he could only lift 180 lbs” said Mr. Ryan Placido. This is just one example of the many ways men can lie to try to impress others by their athletic ability.

Men are not the only ones that lie about their appearance, women do also, however, to a study by the Science Museum of London, women are 75 percent more likely to lie to save someone else’s self-esteem than men. When a woman asks another women, “Do these jeans make my butt look big?” the she will most likely respond with the answer they know the woman wants to hear. Even if it is not the truth, they will lie about it to make the person feel good.

Some people, afraid of what might happen if they told the truth, do not even try to be honest. Maybe they have done something wrong and are afraid of the consequences of their actions, so they lie to cover up what they did. When people lie, not only are they affecting themselves, but they are losing the trust of the people they lie to.

Self-Protection

Many people lie in order to protect themselves from an unpleasant situation or any type of conflict. For instance, young children lie to ensure they do not get into trouble. Children and adults lie to avoid consequences or punishment. In some cases, lying could protect someone from having to face the fact that what he or she did was wrong, and in some cases, make the situation worse. Others may lie when they feel attacked by someone through words. If someone confronts another person about an issue, people may lie to end the conversation.

“I have met people that have straight-up lied to me about something they did to hurt someone else. I knew they were lying, so I had to stop myself from being close with them so I didn’t risk getting lied to also,” said junior Mason Medina.

Even though we frown upon people lying, some people cannot help but to lie. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) can cause patients to have extreme reactions, unstable relationships and spontaneous emotional behavior. When someone with this disorder feels threatened or personally violated, his or her first reaction is to lie. The people that have this disorder think their behavior is normal, even though it can make them less sociable.

Financial Status

Some may lie to show financial gain, make others feel sorry for them, or sometimes try to play the victim in a situation. Most people want to make others think they have a lot of money, even though they may not. Some may buy more high-end accessories or clothing to replicate a higher status, which they might not have.

Not only do people buy high end accessories and clothing, but they may also rent furniture for an event to appear wealthier than they really are. Websites like www.afrevents.com and www.cortevents.com allow users to design a space online. Then they send the furnishings to their house. Both of these companies will go to a customer’s house and replace all of his or her furniture with the furniture they chose to rent. At the end of the event, they will come back and put back all the old furniture.

“Some people lie about their financial status because they are scared others will judge them for the amount of money they make, or if they tell their friends and family how much they make, they might take advantage of them,” said sophomore Catherine Stracci.

Manipulation

Many people may also lie to manipulate others, attempting to get them to do something for them. Not only does manipulation affect the person being lied to, but it affects the person who is lying. When someone asks another person to do a task, this person may feel pressured into doing it, leading them to do it. The person lying might think it is okay to keep manipulating others for their own good.

If someone being lied to were to pick up on that fact, they might unfriend the person. If this were to happen, it may cause a bigger ordeal than if the person did not lie in the first place. When people are afraid of what might happen if they told the truth, they do not even try to be honest. They may have done something wrong and are afraid of the consequences of their actions, so they lie to cover up what they did. When people lie, not only are they affecting themselves, but they are losing the trust of the people they lie to.

“I have had friends make me do something for them, but they make it seem like I must do it for my well-being even though its’s for them. For example, someone told me I had to make a poster for a project, but they didn’t want to do and they just put their name on it,” said senior Nicholas Sanchez.

In the end, does lying really make our lives easier? In the end telling the truth from the beginning could alleviate the pressure of lying and prevent a much worse situation from developing.