The student news site of Park Vista Community High School

The Cobra Chronicle

Trump’s ‘Winter White House’ visits disturb local life

Maya Rothman, Staff Writer

Residents in South Florida have been feeling the effects of President Donald Trump’s frequent visits to his Mar-a-Lago vacation house (now satirically coined his ‘Winter White House’) in one way or another.

Ranging from attention from the media to raising tax dollars, the president is bringing it all, and locals are paying the price.

Since his inauguration in January, Trump has visited South Florida, specifically West Palm Beach, where his estate resides, five times. According to The Independent, only the first three of these visits, reportedly costed $11.3 million. These weekend vacations have cost taxpayers nearly as much in three weeks as former President Obama’s entire travel spending for a year, which was reported to have been $12.1 million. So what has caused this rapidly increasing figure? Starting off, when the president comes to town, security comes with him. And when you are as controversial of a figure as President Trump is, you tend to bring an unusually high amount of security forces. When Trump first visited West Palm Beach after the election, the city spent about $14,500 just on police overtime responding to the protesters who were lined up along the Mar-a-Lago estate. Two more visits later, and the security cost has multiplied to nearly $1.5 million.

With increased security comes increased air, water and land traffic, roadblocks and closures. Shutting down or blocking off roads and even Interstate 95, as well as regions of the Intracoastal have been directly related to these weekend visits, causing an increase in traffic (and complaints). Many local business have also been forced to undergo a temporary shut down while the president is in town. For example, flight restrictions are implemented that limit air travel in a 30-mile radius around Mar-a-Lago. This affects several flight training schools, aircraft rental facilities and even airports such as the Lantana airport, which has been forced to ground several of its flights. The CEO of Stellar Aviation Group, Johnathan Miller, told the NY Daily Times he estimates he loses $30,000 per weekend due to the implemented no-fly zones. “My family and I were boating on the Intracoastal one weekend Trump was here and got turned around by the Coast Guard. It was annoying and kind of scary seeing the machine guns on their boats,” said sophomore Dean Uys.

Even with all this proposed mayhem that may be giving anti-Trump Americans a reason to hate Trump even more, there is some benefit of his visits. His presence in South Florida time and time again have been bringing the area loads of media attention. As Palm Beach Country Administrator Verdenia Baker explained, when stories are aired about the president in his vacation home, the scenery of Palm Beach tends to be in the background; in turn, tourism rises.

While some companies are losing business due to Trump’s visits, others are gaining business. Tourism officials reported that hotel occupancy in central Palm Beach Country was up 2 percent in February simply thanks to the extended media coverage.

It is unclear if these frequent Winter White House visits will continue to impact South Florida to the extent they currently are. However, it is clear if Trump continues his trend of visiting the area nearly every weekend, benefits as well as detriments will result. Only time will tell if one will outweigh the other.