The student news site of Park Vista Community High School

The Cobra Chronicle

Rebecca Lobasz, Park Vista’s newest addition

Lobasz+poses+with+her+fiance%2C+Brian.+
Lobasz poses with her fiance, Brian.

Lobasz poses with her fiance, Brian.

Lobasz poses with her fiance, Brian.

Madison Yecoshenko, Copy Editor, Print

“If there’s one job that the nation will benefit most from, it’s that of a teacher. They educate the children of the future; it’s not an easy job, but Ms. Lobasz is an amazing teacher and I’m glad to have her,” said sophomore (and psychology student) Cameron Santiago.

“The most difficult thing about teaching is probably grading papers. That and time management, but I don’t come here to grade papers and to make lessons. I come here to see you guys! I love to hear my students’ stories and see my them everyday. It’s what makes teaching worth it,” Lobasz said. Currently, she is wrapping up her first year of teaching at Park Vista and is looking forward to many more years like it.

Before teaching at PV, Lobasz worked at a Laser Tag Arena called ‘Hard Knocks’, Staples Office Supply and a real estate company for five years while in graduate school. However, the requirements for becoming a psychology teacher demanded a lot from Lobasz. She had to pass a state test for social science, obtain her Bachelor’s Degree in psychology and receive her Master’s Degree. Altogether, her schooling took a total of five years.

“My career goals?” Lobasz said as the question arose, “I’ve achieved them. I work for the best school in Palm Beach County. Ten years from now? I still see myself teaching here.”

Lobasz hopes to someday receive her Master’s Degree in educational leadership and she also plans to send children of her own to college in hopes that they will become successful adults.

Of course, there is more to a teacher than just teaching. Outside of the work environment, Lobasz finds herself taking up “whatever activities that the great outdoors can provide.” Fishing and boating are just some of the outdoor activities she enjoys. In addition, Lobasz said that she absolutely loves going out on the ocean with her fiancé, Brian. The first time she and her fiance took their new boat out on the water was one of the most memorable moments of her life- but probably not for the best reason. “Brian told me to drive while he rigged up the poles and I just blanked and almost crashed the boat,” Lobasz said. Needless to say, Brian is still hesitant when it comes to Lobasz taking the wheel.

Growing up, Lobasz did ballet for 13 years and played soccer for seven. “I loved the stage and being able to perform amazing choreography. My soccer coaches also impacted my life in such a positive way. They helped guide me through school through tough decisions,” Lobasz said.

Aside from teaching, spending time with her fiancé and enjoying outdoor activities, Lobasz loves to travel. She once went to Paris with her mother and a friend during Christmas break in the eighth grade. They went to the Louvre Museum, climbed the Eiffel Tower and ended up getting pick-pocketed by some children who stole her mother’s wallet. Despite her crazy, yet exciting, experiences, she is still keen on traveling the world, and Paris was definitely a trip she will always remember.

Lobasz’s next trip is going to be to Poland with her fiancé and her father (who is Polish and speaks Polish fluently). Lobasz has family in Poland that she has never met before and she thinks that it would be “amazing to see the country where her father grew up especially from a native’s viewpoint.”

In addition to her travels, one of her most memorable experiences was the day she received the best gift of her life. “The most exciting story from my childhood was the day I got my first car,” said Lobasz. It was a red, 2004 Mustang that she drove around whenever she had the chance. The most embarrassing memory, ironically, happened to involve the same vehicle that she loved so dearly. “I was late for school and they had locked the gate. I had to back up down a narrow street and crashed right into the guard railing. Not only did I have to call my mom because I was late, but I also had to inform her that I had crushed my bumper.”

Like many, Lobasz has had a crazy childhood with many ups and downs, but above all, she takes education very seriously. Following in her mother’s footsteps, she teaches Psychology with an undying passion. She knows that students today face pressures that most people her age would easily crumple under.

“They’re held to high standards by parents and teachers alike. They’ve got jobs and friends and juggling a social life between the two is difficult,” Lobasz said in regards to being a teacher.

She encourages her students to do as she did, and find a job that you not only like, but love. “A job that you love never feels like work, and getting up everyday for a job that you hate, or even like, is hard,” said Lobasz, She loves what she does, and knows that teaching is what she wants to do for the rest of her life.