The student news site of Park Vista Community High School

The Cobra Chronicle

Taylor Swift’s musical messages

Taylor Swift - Reputation
Credit: Mert & Marcus

Taylor Swift - Reputation Credit: Mert & Marcus

Olivia Disanti, Online Staff Writer

On Aug. 19th 2017, Taylor Swift cleared all her social media platforms, causing fans to go wild. Swift was officially coming back to the music game.

Since her last album, 1989, (2014), she has not debuted any new songs. However, this nearly three year hiatus ended when she posted a cryptic video of what appeared to be a snake on her cleared social media profiles.

Aug. 25, 2017, Swift released the first single from her upcoming album, Reputation, titled: “Look What You Made Me Do”. This song is speculated to connect to her infamous feud with Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. Since Kardashian recorded a video of West on the phone with Swift, asking if she was okay with him calling her a vulgar word and, essentially, slandering her. Swift claimed, this conversation was edited together to make it look like she approved the lyrics.

Other clues that this ballad could be about West is the lyric: “I don’t like your tilted stage” – which is thought to be about his concert in which he performed on a moving platform.

The lyric “I’m sorry, the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, cause she’s dead!”, is once again thought to be about her call with Kardashian and West. The song is currently #1 on the Billboard andiTunes charts and on top of this, it is also the most streamed song of the week on Spotify and Apple Music.

The music video for “Look What You Made Me Do” debuted at the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards and gained millions of views within the first 24 hours of release. With this video comes more theories that this song is her “response” to celebrity feuds and all the things the media has said about her throughout her career.

The video starts with her, as a zombie, burying her “old self” from the 1989 album “era”. In the background, there is a tombstone reading the name “Nils Sjoberg”, which was the alias she used to write the song, “This Is What You Came For” in secret for her ex-boyfriend Calvin Harris. This is an indication that she is done with that part of her life.

As the video goes on, she is in a bathtub full of pearls and jewelry and there is a single dollar bill next to her. This dollar represents the single dollar she won in her sexual assault case against former radio DJ David Mueller says her lawyer J. Douglas Baldridge.

The video then continues with her sitting on a throne with the quote “Et Tu Brute” etched on it. This translates to “a friend stabbing the other in the back” in Latin. in which connects to her past friendship with Katy Perry and several other people that supposedly “used” her for fame. She is also surrounded by snakes which is something that media outlets have called her, since they are known to be mean, nasty and deceptive.

Next, she crashes a sports car into a pole, in an outfit that is reminiscent of Perry. She holds up one of her Grammy awards, (something Perry has yet to win). This is looked at as a “sneak diss” by her and Perry’s fans.

Katrina Perkins, sophomore, says “I have loved Taylor since she began and it’s so great to see her pounce on the media and those who have wronged her like she did. I cannot wait to see what this music is going to sound like compared to her older stuff.”

She then is heading up an army of plastic-looking, identical models, which is referring to how people think her “squad” is only for those who are perfect and the same.

Perhaps the most impressive part of her video is when she is standing atop a “mountain” of her past selves. These include her look as a ballet dancer from the “Shake It Off” video, an outfit from her Red tour, the iconic nerdy look from her You Belong With Me music video, an outfit from her first tour and several more. The “new her” kicks them off her, indicating she is finished pretending to be someone else.

In the last scene of the video, a Taylor, that has never been seen before, is in the background spray-painting the word “reputation”on a plane in red paint. There is a line-up of many Taylors that appeared in the video.  Here she quotes many headlines and jokes made about her throughout the years. These include “I’d very much like to be excluded from this narrative” (referencing a quote she’d said about her Kardashian-West feud), “Stop making that surprised face. It’s so annoying,” (regarding how for years, media joked about her being insincere about winning at award shows), “Oh there she goes playing the victim again” and “Getting receipts! I’m gonna edit this later,” (once again referencing her phone call with Kardashian and West.)

Junior Ferry Jacob said “To be honest, I have never really been a huge fan of hers. But her new song is super good, and the video is really empowering. I think I’m going to give this new era a try.”

Swift’s album, Reputation, is expected to be filled with even more hidden messages and meaning. It is set to debut Nov. 10, 2017.