The Cobra Chronicle

New Amazon Prime series – Lore

Olivia DiSanti, Online Staff Writer

Lore, a brand-new series from Amazon Video, displays horrifying, documentary-like footage of the historical origins of popular urban legends. The idea stemmed from the Lore podcast. It is an educational anthology series that takes the mystery of The Twilight Zone, the scare-factor of American Horror Story and the mystical themes of Supernatural and puts a new twist on them.

The original podcast, Lore, produced by Aaron Mahnke, is a popular story-telling platform discussing viewers’ darkest nightmares. The idea for the show was picked up by executive producers, Gale Anne Hurd, Brett-Patrick Jenkins, Aaron Mahnke, Howard T. Owens and Ben Silverman who aim to depict the origin stories of urban legends as detailed and dark as possible.

The show reveals how iconic urban legends, such as werewolves, vampires, body snatchers etc. are connected with the truth. It educates on the historical context of the situations while providing a fright at the same time. The cast and crew include Mahnke, the narrator, Teen Wolf star, Holland Roden, Adam Goldberg, Colm Feore, Campbell Scott, Bethany Anne Lind and several others.

If you’re itching to watch something that’s both shocking and educational, then you won’t want to miss all the spooky goodness Lore has to offer,”said entertainment review website, IGN.

The episodes currently available are “They Made a Tonic” which is about the start of medicine and disease studies in 1800s New England. “Echoes”, which shows the origins of lobotomies and how mental patients were mistreated. “Black Stockings” takes place in 19th century Ireland and shows a husband who is convinced his wife, Beverly, is possessed by a ‘changeling’ and his extreme acts to get her back. “Passing Notes” occurs in a haunted house in 19th century America during the ‘Spiritualist Movement’. Evil spirits wreak havoc on the living. “The Beast Within” tells the origins of werewolves in 1589 Germany. Werewolves were a true fear of the people living in those times, and lastly “Unboxed” where a lonely little boy receives a ‘cursed’ doll as a gift. Each is unique and includes different characters in each one. A second series is scheduled to air in 2018.

Jakob Ocasio, junior, said “Lore totally exceeded my expectations. I can’t wait for next season”.

Lore is was released Oct.13, 2017 and is currently available to Amazon Prime members or those with a free trial.