The Cobra Chronicle

Tablets vs. Textbooks

Morgan Grumbar, Online Staff Writer

Public and private schools around the world have different ways of educating students, whether it be using advanced technology or old-school textbooks and chalk-boards. Although tablets are increasingly being used in the classroom, many educators dislike the idea of technology teaching their students; they prefer using their voice and knowledge to educate. Is the use of a tablet is the next step of evolution in education?

Pro Tablet

According to the US Department of Education and studies by the National Training and Simulation Association, tablets help students learn material faster because it can reduce the time students take to reach a learning objective by 30-80%.

The average tablet holds anywhere from 8 to 64 gigabytes of storage space and hundreds of textbooks and learning links. Although tablets are less expensive than printed textbooks, they are also easier to break. The FCC found that schools end up saving $250 per student when teaching with digital textbooks. Junior Rachel Mateuszczyk, countered by saying, “I prefer tablets because there is updated information and we could search up stuff.

Pro Textbook

Books have been around since 2400 B.C., when the First Dynasty wrote the first textbook in Ancient Egypt. According to tablets vs. textbooks on procon.org, people who read print text tend to remember and learn more than those who read digital text. Many believe tablets have too many distractions as students pay attention to the extra apps and games on the tablet, instead of the work at hand.

Around four-fifths of students aged 8-18 tend to multitask while using digital media. Textbooks do not have a problem of freezing, glitching or crashing in the middle of a lesson.

“I feel like if we had tablets, we wouldn’t do any work,” said junior Angelina Aitola.

In conclusion, both good and bad come out of each of these learning tools. Everyday life is easier and faster when there is technology in hand, but that allows the risk of fake news. Textbooks on the other hand, provide true and useful information. For now, educators will have to agree to disagree and allow students to use the teaching tool that suits him/her best.