The Cobra Chronicle

Lauv – I Like Me Better – review

Noah Fogel, Online Managing Editor

If it seems like this track has already been cycled through the radio dozens of times before, it is because it has. Singer-songwriter Lauv, Ari Staprans Leff, attempts to reach deep into his heart to tell a simple tale of love in a city on his newest track, I Like Me Better. The only problem is, there is absolutely no substance to the track. The lyrics are hollow and emit no feelings of love or satisfaction on his part. He lets us know that he likes himself better when with this girl but the only way he tries to convince the listener of this perfect relationship is by repeating the same lines over and over again, not entering into the slightest detail of their time together. The beat he sings over also sounds very “copy-and-paste” from every other singer attempting a radio hit. Nothing sounds originally composed, simply lifted off a preset list of sounds and mixed together to sound smooth. At the end of the track, nothing is gained, no emotions are left behind this track. He needs to work on his songwriting to convince the listener that the stories he is telling are true and actually mean something of value. If not, he is trying to top the charts like a Lifetime movie is trying to win Best Picture. This roughly three minute track is essentially a hollow, run of the mill attempt to find a few radio plays or a few spins in the local mall’s H&M.

“If you have heard one, you have heard them all” plays to the detriment of Lauv as his track lacks originality and character. While the production is slightly above par, any quality song by Leff needs some character and less generic lyrics. He could benefit from some more eccentric production rather than the simple piano, reverb and acoustic guitar strum common to ever formulaic track of the top charts. Like every other young singer-songwriter trying to make it big, Lauv needs to grow into his sound and make it his own if he hopes to achieve wide-spread success. There is nowhere to go but up for this young artist and once he finds his character in his songs, he will grow.