The Cobra Chronicle

Five ways to fix your workout

Fix your workout frustrations!

Fix your workout frustrations!

Fix your workout frustrations!

Annalise Wellman, Editor in Chief

When one thinks about working out, one normally envisions the health benefits. If one works out wrong, however, these expected health benefits could be nonexistent. In fact, people can get seriously injured because they are exercising incorrectly.

Posture is key

While working out, one may think they are “feeling the burn”; however, what they actually may be feeling is damage caused by not maintaining the correct posture. According to National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Elite Trainer Mark Dickey, using the correct posture while working out is the most important thing one can do to prevent injuries, such as fractures and strains (www.sharecare.com).  In addition to injury, if one is not using the correct posture while working out, it can lessen the intensity of one’s workout on the muscles, thus causing less calories to be burned as well as less positive effects on the body to occur.

It is important to pay attention to one’s posture while working out to prevent injuries and allow one to get the most out of a workout.

Stretching is necessary

Despite common myth that athletes should only stretch before a workout, it is actually more beneficial if one stretches both before and after a workout. This is because stretching increases blood flow to muscles and allows them to relax; therefore, after a workout- it helps reduce muscle soreness (according to healthandfitnessrevolution.com).

“[Stretching] loosens your muscles and gets the blood to your muscles so they don’t cramp up,” said junior Mya Cornish, soccer player.

Therefore to ensure that certain muscles take the stress of a workout to the best of their abilities, it is best to remember to stretch both before and after a workout.

Start slowly

Most people think that when they begin exercising they should jump into the most intense workouts, in order to get quicker results; however, this can cause the opposite to occur.

If one begins working out too intensely too quickly, they risk getting seriously injured to the point where they may not be able to workout again. In fact, in some cases, people can contract rhabdomyolysis- a possibly fatal condition in which overworked muscles begin to die and leak into the bloodstream, according to www.afr.com. Intense exercises also can lead to cardiac problems in the future, according to medicalnewstoday.com

“You start slowly so your muscles get used to it,” said junior Ethan Parcell- wrestler, “[If you don’t] you can pull muscles and ligaments.”

A simple fix to this would be starting out slowly with exercises and working up to moderate intensity exercises to prevent contracting a serious condition while trying to promote ones health.

Drink water

Drinking water is essential to get the best workout and remain healthy. When one exercises, they lose water through sweat; therefore, to prevent dehydration, one must keep drinking water throughout the workout, according to livestrong.com

Dehydration can cause minimal to intense side effects, such as fatigue, rapid heartbeat, unconsciousness and even death- especially if one is working out outside because this can lead to heat stroke as well, according to articles.mercola.com. However, it is important to remember that, even though sports drinks can be a beneficial way to replenish electrolytes lost after a workout, they do not provide adequate hydration to the body, which can lead to dehydration.

It is important to remember, however, that too much water at one time can also cause over hydration, another detrimental self-inflicted condition that results from too much water present in the body. Side effects of this include cramps and nausea, according to www.healthline.com.

So when it comes to drinking water while exercising, one needs to remember to use it wisely in order to stay healthy.

Try variety
It is important to change one’s workout every so often in order to allow the workouts to keep benefitting the body. If one continues to practice the same exercises everyday their muscles will get used to their regimen and one will not see any results. In addition, changing workouts can also reduce the risk of injury from working out (if the workout being repeated is very intense and strenuous, such as a 50 mile run every day), according to medicinenet.com.

“Every exercise is designed in order to work out a different muscle in the body, so I can’t constantly do the same exercises without creating an imbalance in my body,” said junior Rafael Gomez, “It’s not going to be healthy.”

Medical officials and trainers suggest that workouts should be altered every four to six weeks in order to prevent a plateau in progress and avoid overuse injuries.

Having a healthy lifestyle is an important factor in maintaining the health of one’s mind, body and soul; however, one must remember the limitations of the human body in order to prevent injury and get the most out of exercising.