The Cobra Chronicle

Matyskiel’s history

Matyskiel prepared to deal a dose of history.

Collin O'Donoghue, J1 Contributor

Matyskiel is more than meets the eye. Some students see teachers as boring people that enjoy torturing students with pounds homework. This may be true in some cases, but not Matyskiel’s.

With four other siblings, including an identical twin sister, Matyskiel did not have a normal childhood. Out of all her siblings, she is closest with her twin, and still talks to her often. Matyskiel says they used to pull pranks on each other and their other siblings.  “April Fools is a sacred day for identical twins,” said Matyskiel. She and her twin made a little extra money in college by participating in the Indiana University/University of Minnesota Twin Experiments, a study that looked into the genetic traits of identical twins and disease research.

Matyskiel teaches AICE International History and AP European History, and came to Park Vista as history department chair. She said, “If you get a job in history, you either die in that position or retire in that position.”

However, she did not always want to be a history teacher. She aspired to reform the judicial system by making things more consistent, and getting more justice for child abuse and rape victims. Matyskiel also wanted to become a judge because she liked the idea of facilitating trials over performing in them like a lawyer would. In her senior year in college, she went with her fallback plan of becoming an educator. “I think I would have burnt out too quickly,” said Matyskiel.

She is deeply involved in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). The DAR is an organization that works with veterans, education, and historic preservation. “We do everything,” said Matyskiel. She had her children involved in the Children of the American Revolution (CAR), and Matyskiel has been senior leader since 2010. She is a member of the Lighthouse Point Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution out of Broward. Not just anyone can join though. In order to join, you need to be able to trace back a relative that fought or aided in the American Revolution. In her case, she is related to soldiers John and Robert Howard from South Carolina. The DAR works closely with veterans, a group of people who Matyskiel is very inclined to work with. “A veteran is a very special person who volunteers their life for the armed services,” said Matyskiel. The DAR recently donated half a million dollars to World War II memorials.

Matyskiel plans to leave the position of head of the CAR soon, but that does not mean she will be any less involved and devoted to the DAR. In the future, Matyskiel hopes she will have grandchildren. She says she has at least 10 more years of teaching in her, but when she does retire, she would like to do some traveling.

Things may not always go as expected, especially in Matyskiel’s case, but everything happens for a reason. After all, Matyskiel would not be at Park Vista if things went as she had  planned.