The Cobra Chronicle

• September 20Homecoming Week (Oct. 22 - Oct. 26)

• September 20SAT Prep Oct. 15 - Nov. 1 (Mon.-Thurs.) from 4-5 PM. Call (561) 491-8448 for more info.

Mayor for a Day

Boynton Beach Mayor, Steven Grant

Boynton Beach Mayor, Steven Grant

Boynton Beach Mayor, Steven Grant

Olivia DiSanti, Online Staff Writer

On April 10, 2018, winners of the ‘Mayor for a Day’ essay contest, Jakob Ocasio, Brianna McKnight and Lexi Rando met Boynton Beach Mayor, Steven Grant, at City Hall. They received a guided tour led by Mayor Grant and learned about the inner workings of local government. In order to receive this amazing opportunity, the winners had to submit applications and essays as to why they feel they should be “Mayor for a Day” and their feelings and interests on local government systems.

Director of Public Works, Jeffrey Livergood, alongside City Engineer, Gary Dunmyer told the winners all about what certain areas of Public Works is responsible for and how after 2017 Hurricane Irma, solid waste employees were on the streets working to remove debris in order to get the lives of residents back to normal as soon as possible. The students stopped by the Parks and Recreation Center which included a tour of a new workout room and information as to how the department provides services to the city. They loved seeing the Senior Center and all the activities they have there such as singing lessons, yoga, ‘Pickle Ball’ (which is a combination of tennis and ping-pong) and more.

They visited some of Boynton Beach’s historic buildings including the Boynton Beach Schoolhouse, which originally opened in 1913, and is now a museum. They then were taken to the water treatment plant and able to ask questions and speak to some employees there.

Ocasio said, “The Mayor for a Day opportunity was eye-opening and demonstrated the actual political and bureaucratic nuances of our local community, Boynton Beach. It opened many opportunities and career paths to keep in mind during our transitions from high school to the real world.”

The students were able to attend the Quarterly Police Awards and learn about the duties and jobs of the men and women that work there. Eventually, Ocasio, McKnight and Rando will host their own public panel to discuss everything they learned during this honorable experience.