The Cobra Chronicle

• September 20Homecoming Week (Oct. 22 - Oct. 26)

• September 20SAT Prep Oct. 15 - Nov. 1 (Mon.-Thurs.) from 4-5 PM. Call (561) 491-8448 for more info.

Out-of-this-world accommodations

Aurora Space Hotel will launch in 2021

This is a model of how the Aurora space station will appear in space, engineers are in the process of making the hotel now this is just a model.

Photo courtesy of CNN.com

Photo courtesy of CNN.com

Emily Barrett, Opinion Editor

If $80,000 is lying around in one’s bank account, then traveling to the Aurora Space Hotel should be on the vacation list. Aurora Station Space Hotel will be the first hotel in space and, according to National Geographic, the hotel will launch into low Earth orbit (LEO) around 200 miles from the Earth’s surface and will be about the size of the cabin of a large private jet. Guests can come aboard for the “low” price of $9.5 million dollars, which rounds up to about $791,666 per night, or one can pay in instalments if they put down an $80,000 refundable deposit. The company behind the Aurora Space Hotel is Orion Span; they have now opened the doors for space tourism. The hotel is promising an extremely ambitious launch in 2021, and guests can come aboard in 2022.

The Aurora Station was introduced April 5, 2018, marking the debut of the first space station and luxury hotel combination. Only six people can stay at a time, (including two crew members,) for a 12-day journey where they will live like real astronauts. Guests will orbit Earth every 90 minutes, so they will get to experience 16 sunrises and sunsets every 24 hours. This hotel has accommodations similar to the Breakers: luxurious suites, Wi-Fi, incredible views and a garden. Guests may also participate in research experiments such as growing edible plants (which they can take home as souvenirs) and livestreaming with people back home through high speed Wi-Fi.

This luxury vacation cite includes an astronaut certification that one must acquire in order to go into space. Orion Span has turned a 24-month space training program into three months for guests, which includes an online course. According to the Orion Span website, early certification units are theory-oriented and completed on one’s own pace using the Orion Span Astronaut Certification (OSAC) App online. The goal of these units is to gain an understanding of basic spaceflight, orbital mechanics and pressurized environments in space. The OSAC App is currently in development and expected to be released in 2019. Orion Span then conducts mid certification units at their state-of-the-art training Facility in Houston, Texas. In-person training begins no later than three months prior to launch to Aurora Station.

“I would definitely go to the space hotel I have always loved space and I enjoy going on adventures, I even went to space camp as a kid,” said Science teacher Dr. Pearson.

This hotel is definitely out of this world but, unfortunately, so are the prices! Not many people will be able to experience it due to the extreme cost and training. Orion Span will most likely cater to private space tourists and government space agencies. If Aurora Station is successful, the company wants to launch identical modules and build a private space station. According to National Geographic, the hotel is currently under construction in Houston by the engineers who built the International Space Station, while Orion Span develop software for it in the Bay Area. Aurora will reinvent the hotel business and their locations if successful.