The Cobra Chronicle

Girls’ relay team breaks record

Sean McCabe, Online Staff Writer

The girls four by one relay event was dominated by Park Vista at the regional track meet March 27th. The team of four runners broke the previous school record and won their event, and improved the record to 48.96 seconds from 49.0 seconds, set in 2009. By winning the event, they qualified for the state

“I’m very proud, I feel like we’ve come a long way as a team,” said sophomore Sapphire Morgan.

“It was the best feeling ever because we worked all season for it.” said track team freshman Alyssa Marshall.

Going into states, the girls feel like they have a shot at a championship.

“I feel energized going into states, and we plan on beating the record we just set” said sophomore Dominique Fletcher.

The competition does not seem to phase them much, and they know they have worked their hardest.

“I’m definitely nervous but i know we’ll do our best,” said sophomore Amahnia Penn

The team’s hopes, however were dashed on May 4th when Penn and Fletcher suffered injuries in their first preliminary race. Penn pulled her hamstring and Fletcher pulled her quadricep. They took 7th in the heat and did not move on due to those injuries.

“We are a young team and that fact that we’ve done so much and come so far means next year we’re going to knock them [the competition] out.” said Fletcher.

With high spirits and another whole summer and preseason of training, the sky is the limit for them. They hope to go back to state and bring home the gold medal. The future of this team is in their hands and they do not plan on dropping it.