The Cobra Chronicle

• September 20Homecoming Week (Oct. 22 - Oct. 26)

• September 20SAT Prep Oct. 15 - Nov. 1 (Mon.-Thurs.) from 4-5 PM. Call (561) 491-8448 for more info.

Overseas reality shows making waves

Saraphina Mann, Head Copy Editor

Reality television in America is past its glory days. However, reality T.V. junkies have found a new world outside America: international reality shows. They are the new T.V. obsession.

“Love Island” (United Kingdom)

Similar to: “The Bachelor”, “Bachelor in Paradise”

Love Island” is a British reality show where young, attractive singles live in a luxurious villa and attempt to find love. Each week, the singles must couple up. If they are still single by the end of week, they face being removed from the show. While this might not be the most intellectually stimulating show on television, it is perfect for a late-night binge watch.

“The Genius” (Korea)

Similar to: “The Chase”, “Big Brother”

Fans of intense gameplay and strategizing will instantly fall in love with “The Genius”. The show invites 13 Korean contestants, who are geniuses in various fields, to a house where they must compete in intense brain games. The editing is suspenseful, and true intentions of the contestants are always kept hidden. The show is spoken in Korean, so subtitles are required; however, “The Genius” is essential viewing for all intelligent reality junkies, as well as watchers who want to increase their brain power.

“Survivor South Africa”

Similar to: “Survivor”

“Survivor South Africa” follows the same format as its American counterpart. Fans who have binge watched all the older seasons of “Survivor” will love the South African version. Instead of focusing on outlandish twists and casting stunts, the South African version focuses on character development, and each contestant is revealed in depth. New viewers should start on Season 6, as it is the show’s most internationally acclaimed season.

“Singer” (China)

Similar to: “The Voice”, “American Idol”, “X-Factor”

Formerly known as “I Am A Singer”, this Chinese show is just like the average singing competition: except all the contestants are famous singers. The show has high stakes, as winning can turn a celebrity into a national icon. However, singers that lose take a hit to their career after the show is done. Most of the songs sang are in English, so American viewers will easily recognize the covers. Although most of the competitors are Chinese, international competitors are also invited, such as “Bang Bang” singer Jessie J.

“Geordie Shore” (United Kingdom)

Similar to: “Jersey Shore”, “Floribama Shore”

Although there is no fist-bumping or “gym, tan, laundry” on Geordie Shore, viewers will instantly adore the new traditions created by these British party animals. Cast members like Scotty T and Charlotte Crosby are constantly up to no good, but they always make viewers double over in laughter. Fights and drama are constant, but at the end of the day, the cast comes together to have fun in the British party capital. The Geordie crew are never shy of controversy, and they could even make The Situation blush.

“Asia’s Next Top Model”

Similar to: “America’s Next Top Model”, “The Face”, “Project Runway”

“Asia’s Next Top Model” invites young, aspiring models from across Asia to compete in one of the most prestigious modelling competitions in the world. Based off of the American version, “America’s Next Top Model”, the winning contestants receive a life-changing modeling contract. The show balances high fashion with high intensity cat fights. It gives viewers an insight into Asian culture and fashion. Viewers will root for the talented yet rambunxious models such as Clara Tan. The show has began to release full length episodes on its YouTube channel, so American viewers can watch with ease.

“Big Brother Canada”

Similar to: “Big Brother”

America’s northern neighbor has one of the best versions of “Big Brother”. The show puts an emphasis on diverse casting and strays away from stereotypes. Contestants such as poker player, Kevin Martin, and plus-size model, Brittnee Blair, give the audience favorites to root for. Plus, the show airs in the spring, which makes it the perfect appetizer for “Big Brother” US in the summer. The show is also interactive, so viewers can vote online to impact the game.

1 Comment

One Response to “Overseas reality shows making waves”

1. Lester Green on September 21st, 2018 9:11 AM

My favorite part of Asia’s next top model are the cat fights. The subtitles are so bad and incoherent but it’s still lit. Follow my soundcloud @lillllester

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

Hits of Halloween

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

Ray Goren: guitarist finds success

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

From unrealistic to sensational

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

Lauv – I Like Me Better – review

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

Dua Lipa’s Inspirational Melody

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

New Amazon Prime series – Lore

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

P!NK 2018 world tour

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

Olivia Holt – Generous single

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

“Sriracha” song review

• Overseas reality shows making waves

Entertainment

Family-friendly flicks

The student news site of Park Vista Community High School
Overseas reality shows making waves